Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Should I get a Siberian Husky?

I was considering getting a Siberian Husky. I know they shed a lot of hair. Can someone please tell me if this a good dog if you have kids? I have two boys, 11 and 8, and a 3 year old little girl. Thanks in advance!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

They are great with Kids. They love the outdoors. Put a fance up and keep it in the yard. It will make a great family pet, protect your home and be great with the kids. It won't be a problem shedding outdoors. They love the outdoor cool temps.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

they're really cool dogs



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

yes there great loyal and playfull dogs as for the hair tho consider 2lbs a day when there sheading youd wana get one of those roomba things



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

I have one myself and she is really great with my 13 yr old daughter. The dog is very friendly and playful and gets along with the cats fine.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

Most dogs usually reflect the personality of the owner if the owner is responsible and experienced. I would say if you're a first time dog owner, i would go for a smaller dog, especially if you have little kids...



My friend has a husky though, beautiful dogs... great personality but has a lot of energy



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

they r wonderful dogs. brush him frequently and the shedding won't be as bad.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

A siberian husky at my wallet.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

i never knew there was such a thing



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

A Siberan Husky is great but you have to do a lot of work. Like when it snows you have to let it out and it is very hard to tame but once it obeys you it will make a great pet. It maybe will be a good pet around children but if your getting from a shelter or a place that sells dogs like worldwide puppies and kittens or Puppies Paradise take your children and see if the dog likes them. I hope you get the Siberan Husky!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

sure. they are great dogs. my neighbor has two and they are great with her kids. here are some websites that might help you out!



http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/breeds/hus...



http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siberia...



http://www.husky-petlove.com



http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/siberianhusk...



http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/sibh...



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

Yes. They are completley safe. At first they look mean but theyre so soft and sweet!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

we had siberian huskies growing up and they were great with kids.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

My older Siberian Husky "Jett" is a very sweet dog.He has alot of energy,,will be calmer after a run outside in the yard,,doesnt shed THAT much,,he's a beautiful dog. Never feed a dog near children %26amp; of course any dog wouldnt want a child to pull his tail or such.You just teach the children %26amp; the dog how to be gentle. I tell Jett,,e-a-s-y when he gets too rambunctious.;O)



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

My little sister just got a husky puppy and he is amazing! The best puppy, by far, we've ever had.



He is great with babies, toddlers, older children - he's spent a lot of time around all of them. He was a "chewer" when she first got him, but he is very smart and was easy to teach not to. Keep in mind, it didn't hurt when he did, because he had baby teeth!



One thing I have seen, though - Huskys are number 4 on the most reported bites list.



But - like I said, we have a wonderful one. He isn't just GREAT with children, he actually enjoys them. If you get a puppy (vs adopting a grown dog with an unknown background - I'm a huge fan of this, but not if it puts children in danger!), and take him to training and also teach your children how to handle the dog, I think they would be a great pet!



Yes they have lots of hair, but a with a daily brushing, the shedding isn't too bad except for at their regular shedding times. One more tip ... put fish oil in their food and you'll have the softest fluffy husky around ;-)



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

I can only tell you that I had one and it was a great dog .BUT.



You better have a lot of yard .They are runners .They need a lot of room to roam.I put up a 5 ft fence and he jumped it daily.So find something else if you don't have the room



OH yeah !It was great with kids



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

tottaly they r so cute and playful! itl go perfect for your family



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

My uncle had 2 of them - of course they need training. His kids and dogs got along great. Good luck.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

As others have stated, it would depend mostly on the history of the dog and what life experiences it has already gone through. If you get it as a puppy or an adult, you will help shape those experiences through training, so you can help it become good with kids by teaching the children the right way to interact and it the right way to interact with children.



In general, Huskies are very smart and can be independent, which can be a blessing or a curse. One thing to keep in mind is that they are notorious escape artists, and a six-foot wooden privacy fence is a must for keeping them in the yard - they will climb metal fences and no dog should be chained up in a yard. They are very social and love being with people, and wouldn't do well kept alone in a backyard. They like to be with their family - unless it snows! :) Then they want to go play for hours!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

They are wonder dogs....gentle, smart, and loving, they need lots of attention though....but who would'nt give a dog that beautiful attention.



Good Luck on your decision...I'm sure you will love your new friend....



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

actually according to top vetrinarian dr. pitcairn huskys can tend to be aggressive and may snap at todlers but a good choice with kids are labradors or retrivers they are the best with kids and are great



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

It might be a little rough around the 3 year old..and also depends on the size of your house..s



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

They are so beautiful, but I had one and found out the hard way that they tend to run off. Also for children, I would say some sort of lab, and believe it or not Dobermans. I know I know, they have a bad rap but it's all because of bad training and or abuse.



I rescued an abused Dobbi as a puppy, not by choice, was afraid of them, did much research and found...



They are the only dog ever bred to defend humans because of their loyalty and affinity to people. They are very smart and sensitive and my Lucy is the sweetest dog ever! She adores my 4 yr old daughter because she is my child, she is totally loyal to me and has never ever shown aggression toward another human being, she LOVES everyone. The only time I ever saw her get nasty was with a Rottweiler who was messing with her and about 4X's her size, so she's no pushover, just smart and wonderful!!!!



She will be 8 this year and I can not express what a great dog she has been and how much we love her! Plus she was not cropped (ears and tail) so she is cute and not scary looking at all.



Good luck with whatever you choose, but I would do much research with young children in the house.



After reading Amanda D's anwer I would say she has the vey best answer.



I neglected to add that my Lucy is a mix of Dobbi and Sheppard, so she has big goofy sheppard ears, lol, but amanda is right on shelter/mixed dogs if well selected are the best dogs ever! Had them since I was a child and they were all great dogs. My Husky, Nikki, was the only pure bred and though I loved him, he needed more freedom and training than I could handle at the time.



With kids I really would keep thinking and researching, and Amanda truly is right on the money, and I have nothing to gain by saying that except I have also worked with animals and she is the most on the mark.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

In my experience a Veterinary Technician, Huskies are extremely active and excitable dogs. In order you have one you would need a large backyard and the time to attend obedience training. They do make good family dogs if neutered or spayed but may be alittle too rambuncious for a 3 year old. They do shed year round and require daily brushing and monthly trips to the groomer. My suggestion would be to visit your local animal shelter or ASPCA. These shelters often have both mixed breeds and pure breed adult and young dogs. They know the temperaments and activity levels of each dog and can help you find the perfect match for your family. My family has always had mutts and they have made the best dogs because they havent gotten sick (dont require high vet bills) and were great with the kids.) Pure bred dogs often are more like to become ill and get genetic diseases. You may even find a Husky mix that doesnt shed as much as a normal Husky but has all the same physical features!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

Well i live here in Alaska and i can tell you they have enegery and need room.If you have a nice yard they a real diggers.There nice dogs but you have to think where you live they have very thick hair how hot is it where you live???Do you have the room??? Do you mind a dog that the there breed are known to be diggers.A great breed of Alaska huskies are your Mkinizie rivers now those for endurance size and a mellow huskie are a great and not spazzie. They are knon as Mkinizie river wolfs and not a true wolf there size coats and used up here for mushing due to there strength hope i helped you. if you like how a young lab is that how your s. huskies are i really dont like them and many mushers dont use them . And in a group tend to fight more often than outhers



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

In the many years that I have been involved in the breed, I have placed both adult dogs and puppies in homes with younger children. Siberians do well with children, as they pretty much like everyone. :)



Contrary to what "kenziegym" said, a *well-bred* Siberian is NOT aggressive, with either children or adults (and I can find absolutely no evidence that Dr. Pitcairn ever stated such a thing).



They are not guard dogs, despite the fact that some people may be put off by their "wolfy" appearance.



They are prone to digging and howling when bored or lonely. They do best when they have another dog as a buddy, although they don't necessarily need this if their human family spends a lot of time with them.



They require a fair amount of exercise, and will escape a yard if, again, bored or lonely.



They ABSOLUTELY require a fenced-in yard. The breed was developed to run, and they are not trustworthy off leash. They are not the "hang around the house" type of dog that you'd find in a Golden or Labrador.



More info on the breed:



http://www.shca.org/shcahp2a.htm



http://www.shca.org/shcahp2b.htm



If you do decide that this is the right breed for your family, please get a puppy from a responsible breeder, or adopt from a rescue group. You can start looking here:



http://www.shca.org/shcahp4f.htm



Good luck!



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

First you must decide,do you have TIME to train a Siberian Husky? These dogs need LOTS of training! They are very active and need masses of exercise,not just a quick walk. I think a three year old is just a little too young,as Huskies do tend to RUN most of the time!! They do not,as a rule fair well with other animals,especially cats!!! You will need lots of time to devote to a Husky. You need to be dedicated and commited. Please do some research on Huskies before you decide,making sure that a Husky is a suitable dog for you and your family.



Energy High



Overall Exercise 80 - 100 minutes



Distress Caused if Left Alone Medium



Personal Protection Low



Suitability As Guard Dog Low



Risk of Sheep Worrying High



Tendency to Bark Low



Ease of Transportation Medium



Level of Aggression Low



Compatibility With Other Animals Low



Suitable For Children



High



General Character And Temperament The breed is known for its good temperament and its suitability in a family environment. They adore people so don閳ユ獩 make natural guard dogs. They love and need company and should not be left alone for long periods of time or they can become very destructive. They will be happy with other well-adjusted dogs but are keen and efficient hunters so contact with other household animals needs careful handling and training. Whilst they do not often bark, they will howl, often just for the joy of it!



Grooming



Coat Length Short/Medium



Grooming Requirement



Trimming Occassional



Requires Professional Groomer



Grooming Grooming is particularly easy: an occasional brushing and combing normally but somewhat more during moulting. The only trimming necessary is the feet. This is a clean breed with little or no 閳ユoggy閳?smell.



Colour Sibes come in all colours and markings, including white, with some striking patterns being seen.



Shedding Moderate



Suffers From Allergies



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

My bro in law has 2 Siberian huskies, and they're gorgeous. The female has one blue eye and red on the other. Vice versa for the male. How cool is that? He and his wife recently had a baby, and it wasn't a prob at all. The dogs were very calm, never barked while we were staying over, and were a great company. But he's a very strict and disciplined guy (he's in the army), so he train the dogs a lot for them to be so obedient and well behaved. In the end, it's really worth it though.



Should I get a Siberian Husky?

I used to have an all white Husky w/ baby blue eyes. I miss him! But to answer your question, if your ready for a RIDE, then of course, he's great. Just dont count on being able to walk him without the leash or take him to the park *unless it's the dog park* b/c these dogs are "Houdini" dogs. They will figure out escape plans. Dig holes to escape and even stand the shock of an electric fence. AND THEY DONT COME BACK. Not to mention the Howling. OH yeah... Looking for a guard dog to let you know someone is breaking into your home??? HAHAHA!! He'll probably HELP the thief rather than stop him! LOL!!

No comments:

Post a Comment