Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

My two children and I recently spent an entire day with my sister and her 4 children at my mother's house. Played outside, went in the water.. close contact! This was last week.



We have plans to have my sister and her children over tomorrow to come and swim in my pool.



My mother just informed me today that I should keep my children's towels , clothing seperate- as my neice has lice. ( Not sure about the boys- but I they had it a month ago!)



I'm a bit nervous as I have super long hair myself- Length is a little past my behind and its thick and curly. My daughter is almost 3 and has thick curly hair.



I told my mother- if they do come over I do not want any of them inside of my house.



Is this overreacting? What would you do? What's the polite way to handle the situation? Is it possible to have lice already from last weeks visit! (I wasn't aware she my neice still had it).



Thanks!



Appreciate any of the comments.



Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

If they have lice they should treat it and if you have lice with your long hair the shampoo will be too much work the is this comb that uses an AA battery and will shock and kill the lice it costs about $20 but you can use it on more than one person



it is called:



LiceGuard



Robi Comb



it would be good for your long hair and you can use it on your child it is also a good way just to check for lice if you look it up you will see what i am talking about.



but no you are not over reacting lice is a pest



Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

she needs to get that smelly lice-killing shampoo w/ the extra fine comb that hurts like hec! lol! I had to do this twice in grade school, due to getting lice from other kids.



There's nothing "gross" about them as people, just for getting it...it's easy to get. But, I think it's understandable to expect them to get it taken care of b/f being in contact w/ anyone else.



If your 3 yr old did get it, it would be NO FUN getting it out. That smelly shampoo should kill the lice....so I don't see why your sis doesn't just do that, and have it taken care of and gone.



Get someone to check your hair in a really good light, and check your own kids hair. The sooner you take care of it (if you happened to get it) the better.



Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

Ahhh you're making my head itch!!! Well it is possible that your child already has some. She might not but it is possible. Anyway, are you overreacting, no. I would do the same. When I was little my mom always kept us clean and always checked our head to make sure we had nothing. Also around other kids she would always have our head in a tight ponytail or braid to make it harder for lice to get into our hair. It's easier when the hair is down for lice to spread. Also if you're worried about your daughter having got one or something then I would wash her hair with the lice shampoo to kill them before they start laying more eggs. My suggestion is to keep your daughters hair up in a tight ponytail while around them. I have long thick curly hair too and I never got any.



Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

Never treat lice unless you see ADULT lice. That is how they become resistant to treatment.



The chemicals used in lice shampoos are very harsh. They can and have caused neurological damage in kids!



If you're not even sure you have them, grab a lice or flea comb. After you wash your hair, comb your (and your daughter's) hair carefully. If you do this every 3 days, you can get rid of lice quickly without using chemicals.



Lice? Sisters kids have lice ... I have SUPER long hair!?

we went through this for 2 years with my step-daughter. One of her older sisters had lice and the adults in the situation (my wife's ex and the other children's mother) refused to do anything about it. We tried keeping my step-daughter's clothes, pillow's, bedding, hair brushes separated to no avail. We tried special shampoo, nit combs, washing everything in sight and even coloring my step-daughter's hair. My wife finally called the nurse at my step-daughter's school and outlined the problem. That nurse called the nurse at the other children's school and they ended up being suspended until the lice was taken care of. That was the only way they would finally do something about the problem and it finally went away.



You will not get rid of the lice unless everyone that your child has close contact with takes action as well. If they won't, you have little choice but to limit the contact your children have with their cousins.



No, I don't think you are overreacting. Lice is nasty and dirty and can lead to more health issues later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment